TROOP 71 NEWS
2015 Memorial Day Grave Decorating
(click photo for a larger version)
Twenty-two scouts, at least three sisters of scouts, one Cub Scout, and about a dozen parents from Troop 71 joined the hundreds of other volunteers at the
Dayton National Cemetery. Their goal: to honor the military men and women, their spouses, and other dignitaries by decorating each grave site
with a small American flag. Thank you to all of you for remembering those who served our great country.
Tecumseh Council 100-Mile Hiker Award
The TECUMSEH 100 MILE HIKER Award has been developed for the purpose of encouraging hiking
among Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, Youth Groups, and Hiking Clubs.
form may be found at this link.
Troop 71's point-of-contact is Mr. Bill Ruck. Click here to send him a message.
HOW TO EARN THE TECUMSEH 100 MILE HIKER:
1. Hike 100 miles
2. The award for the first 100 miles hiked is the Spearhead and the award for subsequent
sets of 100 miles is a Spear handle. You may earn as many handles as you like.
3. There is no time limit in which the awards must be earned.
4. One-day hikes should be at least ten miles.
: established trails that are five miles or more.
Troop 71's 5-Mile Hike counts.
5. Backpacking hikes of 10 miles or more, with all gear carried in packs and at least one night
camped on the trail may be counted as double mileage.
6. You must use your own best judgement as to the number of miles hiked. Backpack
trips count as one total hike.
7. Leaders and youths should keep accurate record of all hikes including the mileage, date,
and name of hike.
8. For all awards make a list of all hikes taken from the start to present giving mileage, date, and name of hike or trial. Also include total present mileage. Send this in with each application. br />
Outdoor Code — As an American, I will do my best to be clean in my outdoor manners; be careful with fire; be considerate in the outdoors; and be conservation-minded.
Kroger Rewards Program: Time to Re-Enroll
It's time to re-enroll for 2016 Kroger Community Rewards program. If you need assistance with signing up
or re-enrolling for the Kroger Community Awards program, please call Stan Leszczuk, at 602-5299. You
need to re-enroll during the month of April in order to continue contributing to Troop 71/Aley church
for period of May 1, 2015 to April 30, 2016.
Detailed enrollment instructions are posted on Troop 71 website at
Parents' Meeting Notes
Notes from the 28 April 2015 Troop 71 Parents' Meeting
Congratulations Andy Rice. Troop 71's Newest Eagle Scout
Andy Rice was awarded Boy Scouts' highest rank at the Eagle Scout Court of Honor on Saturday afternoon,
11 April 2015. Family, friends, and fellow scouts were on had to join the celebration.
Andy is number 189 in Troop 71's Eagles' Nest.
Good Job, Andy!
2015 Summer Camp - updated
Use this form to register your scout for summer camp: Summer Camp Registration Form.
The Troop 71 2015 Summer Camp will be at (drumroll please)
Tomahawk Scout Reservation (a.k.a., Camp Tomahawk) in Birchwood, Wisconsin. Some will remember that this is where we went
for summer camp in 2012. A few photos from that 2012 event are posted on Flickr.
Click this link to view those photos from 2012
Go to the Summer Camp webpage
for more information.